Carrie Furnaces Industrial Tour
July 2 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Sunday and Saturday, repeating until October 30, 2021
An event every week that begins at 11:00 am on Sunday and Saturday, repeating until October 30, 2021
An event every week that begins at 12:00 pm on Sunday and Saturday, repeating until October 31, 2021
An event every week that begins at 1:00 pm on Saturday, repeating until October 30, 2021
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Friday, repeating until October 29, 2021
An event every week that begins at 11:00 am on Friday, repeating until October 29, 2021
Declared a National Historic Landmark in 2006, Carrie, as it’s affectionately known, entices visitors to marvel at the scale and legacy of its industrial might. A remnant of the legendary U.S. Steel Homestead Steel Works, the Carrie Blast Furnaces are a vestige of Pittsburgh’s 20th-century domination of the steel industry. During this two-hour guided tour, you’ll hear stories about the site’s technology (including why it is nationally significant) as well as get to know the culture of its workers. You’ll also learn a bit about the iron-making process, from the movement of the raw materials to the tapping of the furnaces that produced fiery molten iron.
Tickets must be purchased in advance. You will be required to show your electronic or paper tickets for admission. No tickets will be sold at the door.
A maximum of 15 participants will be permitted on each tour.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- What to wear: Face masks are required to be worn for the duration of your visit for all guests ages 2 and above.The majority of each tour is outside; please dress for the weather. Additionally, the ground is uneven—sensible shoes are a must. Sneakers or boots are recommended. Open-toed shoes and high heels are prohibited.
- Maintain social distance: Signage has been placed throughout the site reminding you to maintain a safe distance of six feet from others.
- Restrooms & concessions: The rawness of the site is certainly part of its charm. However, that rawness also limits the creature comforts many of us are accustomed to, like running water. Portable bathrooms, hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are available. Food amenities are not available (with some exceptions, such as food trucks at festivals).
- Photography: Photography is permitted. For safety reasons, videography and drones are prohibited.
- Accessibility: Handicapped parking is available, but the grounds covered during tours are not wheelchair accessible.
- Liability: By purchasing admission tickets, all visitors consent to the terms of our liability waiver and consent to be photographed (PDF).
- Admission: Site access is limited to guided tours, workshops, and events. Unless otherwise noted, all admissions are ticketed.
- Duration: Allow two hours for your tour.
- Children: While kids of all ages are welcome, the tour content is recommended for children ages 8+.